Right hand bottom corner of my screen shows 6:08AM IST, Wednesday, May 21, 2008. This is an auspicious time to start the first blog in my life. To be frank, a crude form of my blog has been a regular in my College Yahoo Groups since 2001. After getting so much ‘little’ attention and seldom replies or comments from my friends, the crude blog met with a silent death.
I want to win an Oscar some day. As on today, the Academy does not give away Oscars in Electronics Engineering. So, after serious and lazy thoughts, I have decided to become a designer. What designer, even I don’t know, only time can tell.
- I need a portfolio with a lot of shameless self promotional stuff.
- I need to learn Auto CAD, 3dsMax and SolidWorks.
- I need to improve my English.
- I need to buy a Notebook PC.
- I need to decide where to study the ‘Master in Design’ Course.
Everything is possible. But as I am suffering from a pathetic disease of laziness…
Anything below 200 is easy to read. The ‘word counter’ shows 183 words so far excluding the title.
That’s all from my end. Let us meet again sometime in this week.
UPDATE: 06 November 2020
- I didn’t win an OSCAR!
- I created a design portfolio and updated it several times over the years.
- I learned Auto CAD, 3dsMax, SolidWorks… and many more like Axure, XD, Figma…
- I definitely improved my English.
- I bought an HP laptop in August 2008. Then, a TOSHIBA, two iPads, one desktop, three mobile phones… followed.
- Yes, I became a product designer in 2010 after joining for M.Des. at CPDM, Indian Institute of Science Bangalore. Now I have a wonderful career as a UX Designer.
This blog was started as a subdomain of http://antzfx.com. Then it became an independent URL (http://antzfxway.com). Finally all the content was migrated to https://designPULI.com. I started several other blogs and websites as well.
What will happen after 10 more years — say, in 2030?
Who knows, other than God?
Live every moment. Improve yourself. Help others.
wish you luck. I like the card design for your friend.
Hi, my name is Ravi. I am now in a similar position as you were at the time of writing this blog post. Can you please tell me what should one have do to be a good product designer. I mean, what are the prerequisites for entering M.Des. course like what software I should know, what books I should read ? I would be thankful for any help you give.
Ravi, here is my attempt to answer your questions.
1. Write CEED exam.
2. Apply to IISc or IITs where M.Des. Courses are available.
3. No need to know any software. You should have good visualization and sketching skills. If you know Photoshop and any 3D softwares like SolidWorks, Alias, CATIA, Maya, 3dsMax… you will have an advantage.
4. Books to read are: The Design of Everyday Things (Donald Norman) and Design for the Real World: Human Ecology and Social Change (Victor Papanek).
5. This blog post also may be useful to you. Here is the secret to creativity…
Practice a lot and all the best!
hi thank you very much for your reply
my name is d ravi teja i m from vizag (A P) i finished btech in instrumentation in 2010
i am currently working in tcs.
i also liked your tutorial about portfolio making.
my mail id is email@example.com
can i contact you if i have further doubts ?