An upcoming solo running event needed a logo and I had less than 24 hours only to come up with one. ‘Unstated requirements’ included a connection to technology and sports. The name ‘iRUN’ was chosen for the event.
Exactly a decade ago, I designed the logo and posters for ‘Science and Technology Run’ (stylized as ‘Snt run’) at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. I wanted to take the same inspiration of ‘race tracks in a stadium’ for the ‘iRUN’ logo design as well.
A Cute Robot with a Fitness Band
To add more resemblance to a fitness band, three arcs are also added to represent a signal transmission. The robot’s facial outline also resembled the shape that we arrived at, sealing the connection to technology. I named this version as ‘Tech-loop’ logo.
When searching for ‘Tech’ fonts in Google Fonts website, I came across ‘Share Tech Mono.’ When written in this font, the alphabets ‘i’ and ‘U’ of iRUN attracted my attention. To me, the alphabet ‘i’ looked like a person kneeling and the alphabet ‘U’ resembled the shape of a race track. The font is a condensed, tall one that works best even if we apply a ‘faux italic’ treatment.
- This is how ‘iRUN’ appears in default in ‘Share Tech Mono’ font.
- The kneeling person ‘i’ of ‘iRUN’ is mirrored. Let us make him/her moving in a positive direction (left to right).
- The kneeling person ‘i’ is trimmed of the legs! Now ‘i’ looks like a standing person.
- The alphabet ‘N’ is replaced with a 180 degrees rotated ‘U.’ This is the other half of the shape of race track.
- Corrected the baseline of the new ‘N.’ then a ‘faux italic’ treatment is done by distorting ‘iRUN’ to some 10 degrees from the vertical. This is to represent a positive movement from left to right.
Within the available time-frame of a single day, I believe that this is the best result one could achieve. The event is planned in September 2020. Marketing collateral and merchandise design will all feature this iRUN logo.
UPDATE 1: iRUN on 26 & 27 Sep 2020
Here are some of the posters created for iRUN 1.0 which was a virtual event due to the pandemic shutdown.
UPDATE 2: iRUN 2.0 on 25 & 26 Sep 2021
Here are some social media designs for iRUN 2.0. which was also a virtual event because of COVID-19 restrictions.
UPDATE 3: iRUN 3.0 on 24th July 2022
Being the first physical run in the iRUN series, a big event was organized at Grand Hyatt, Bolgatty, Kochi. 800+ people participated in the 3km and 10km run in the container terminal road.